Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bourbon vs. Beer

Colorado has the Coors Brewery in Golden. Kentucky has the Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles. Sadly to say; I've never taken the time to visit the Coors Brewery, which is only about a 30 minute drive from where I spent a major part of my life.

One of the many things that I've noticed from our moving around the past few years is that sometimes it takes out-of-town visitors to motivate you to visit some of your surrounding areas that make your home state unique. Coors is one of the few that I seemed to have missed in Colorado. Although, I did make it to the Celestial Seasons factory in Boulder last Spring.

"All Bourbon is Whiskey but not all Whiskey is Bourbon." - the first thing that we learned about Woodford Reserve Bourbon this past Saturday. Did you know that Bourbon isn't Bourbon unless it meets certain criteria one being that it must be produced in the United States? If interested in the others, visit http://www.woodfordreserve.com/ (could make for some great trivia questions!) Even if you're not one to partake in an occasional drink, I think most would find the process of interest. It really seems to be more of an art in addition to a process. A final bottle of Bourbon, at Woodford (not sure about other distilleries), is aged no less than 7 years and has a wonderful color and smell. After being rewarded with a 1-ounce sample along with a chocolate Bourbon ball, my husband made his way to the gift shop to purchase some of this rich history.

Just a few of the other great Kentucky sites on my list to visit:

  • Shaker Village
  • a horse farm - I grew up w/horses but these farms are unlike what I'm used to in the west
  • a race at Keeneland Race Track

Any other suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment